Tuesday, August 29, 2006


I suppose that many people know by now that I have decided to partake in a socially approved nuptial ritual, even though I spent the previous 10 years telling friends and family that said nuptial ritual was for stupid breeders.

As if I don’t have enough to do trying to figure out how to feed 43 children and send another 35 of them to school, now I have to plan a wedding from Thailand. My wedding! Easy enough for girls who have been thinking about their wedding since age five, but I just put my mind to it for the first time in my life. Did you know that if I wear a cream-colored dress the men cannot wear white shirts, or that most formal invitations involve five pieces of paper, or that if one of my best friends is a man (Jon) I can’t put him in a pink bridesmaid dress like all the other maids?

Jordan (who I have been dating for two years and nine months) flew to Thailand and gave me a “stand-in, anti-mugger” ring that looks low-profile, so that in the unfortunate event that I get robbed while traveling/working I won’t have my finger cut off. It will be replaced when I return home in November. We got engaged on August 27, the supposed day that my visa expired, although through some stroke of luck, my visa is good until September 24, which would have been nice to know before we spent five hours traveling to the immigration office the next day to get it renewed.

No date for the wedding yet, but it will probably take place some time in late February.

No not on Valentines Day. Don’t be cliché…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about those of us who would like to see Jon in a frilly pink dress?