Thursday, August 17, 2006

A curious thing is beginning to happen to me. I am starting to develop that loathsome habit that many western parents have of thinking that “my children” are better than all other children and that the world revolves around them. I first noticed the problem when Blaise and I were leaving the public school last month and I blurted out “Blaise our children are MUCH more intelligent than these other kids!” To which he replied “Our children??!”

I hang their sloppy paintings up on my wall because I have no refrigerator. I obsessively take photos of every little accomplishment, brag to other people about how intelligent and cute they are, and if another adult so much as gives them one cross look I prickle with irritation …but say nothing. It is hard to be an irritating parent-type in a different language.

No comments: