Saturday, June 03, 2006

Well, I landed at Bangkok International Airport an hour and a half late, and when Joey picked me up at the gate the first thing he did was read me a passage from Chekov - when I remember what it is I'll post it...something about a goat and some flowers...

These are my first three impressions of Bangkok:
- Bangkok smells like a bile churning combination of fart gas, putrid meat, rotten lychees, and diesel fuel.
- It is so hot and damp that my skin is constantly a little slick and oily, and I love it.
- It doesn't matter how dilapidated the building, or how slimy the pile of garbage, someone will put a shrine in front of it, with an offering of bananas, incense, and a shot of whiskey, and call it home.

We traveled to Hua Hin the same day - a three-hour bus ride with a man who is jonesing for nicotine and food seems like a 5-hour bus ride.

No comments: