Thursday, July 06, 2006


Teaching English at the local Thai public school is by far the biggest challenge for me. The children are less responsive than the OPC kids, and seem to have less interest in studying and more interest in shooting rubber bands at each other across the classroom. To console ourselves after rainy a day of public school teaching Blaise and I stopped at a small book/gift shop that had a sign out front: Cappuccino! Brownies!

Naturally I was intrigued by this mention of brownies and I thought that it would be good in investigate further. I ordered, the waitress grinned, the brownie arrived – a massive brick of brownish gray. It was frozen…and I think it is safe to say that it was a flourless brownie. As I sawed through its dense, cold chocolate carcass I recalled that I have never seen a single kitchen in Thailand with an oven. First bite…holy cow this brownie is not made of chocolate!
Well, it was a little bit chocolate. Ovaltine, to be exact. Ovaltine and raisins, to be taste-buds-in-agony correct. It tasted more like sugar water and chalk than chocolate, with small, hard raisins liberally dispersed to add texture or perhaps to warn the unsuspecting consumer to turn back before it is to late.

Now I have a stomach ache and I feel a bit in shock, almost the same as when I fell off the motorbike last week.

No comments: