Monday, July 10, 2006


After spending some days of thinking about it I have decided to spend this week living on the same ascetic diet of most illegal migrant workers that live here in Thailand. That is, eating only rice and chili paste for seven days - I also decided to allow a little bit of fruit. Blaise agreed that if France lost the world cup he would join me. For obvious reasons, Blaise is a bit grouchy today, a condition which is aggravated by the fact that the only thing he has eaten in the last 24 hours is rice, fish sauce, and one banana. Today is the conclusion of day one and I feel satisfied with my two bowls of rice and my banana, but I don't think I'll last long. So far, the most amusing thing about this diet is the look on the faces of the restaurant owners when I tell them the only thing I want to eat is rice.

No comments: