Monday, June 09, 2008

Don't ask me why I have decided to do this - it certainly wasn't anything that I heard recently on the radio or read in a magazine or on the internet, but I want to try something called The Challenge, or Buy Nothing Day...except I am going to try it out for a few months. Some people do it for 6 months, some for an entire year. I think I shall try it until August and see what happens. Parameters: I will still purchase toiletries (only necessary ones like toothpaste and soap, etc.), socks and underwear from stores, and, of course, food. Since we are also in the middle of a remodel, and currently have holes in our chipped-painted drywall and jagged gaps in our stained carpet that reveal the cement underneath, I need a dispensation from materials for our home improvement, but they will be construction-related only.

What can I purchase? Second-hand only. If I want to read a book I will get off of my backside and walk to the library, two blocks away, that I have never used. If I need a new shirt I can buy one at Value Village as a need instead of a novelty. Same goes for useless trinkets, which I have started acquiring in number. The Spouse, who chases the trinkets away like they are rodents or cockroaches, is very excited about my challenge, although he loftily declared that he doesn't need such frivolous games because he is already an idea non-consumer. I decided to keep my mouth shut about the two Xboxes in our living room, although I couldn't' help taking a jab at the three-foot tall carpet-dryer that is currently clogging up our storage unit.

I'll post occasionally about my progress/lack of progress. If anyone has tried and failed, tried and succeeded, or thinks this is crazy, I'd like to hear about it!!

No comments: