Thursday, April 17, 2008

Go ahead...drink that $4 latte...

The price of rice is up. Doubled, in fact. This is bothering me. Yesterday I threw away some purple cabbage because it didn't look fresh enough. What has happened to me?

I wrote to Kham Chuen and asked him if OPC is still receiving donated rice. I just heard back. They aren't.

Usually the shelter would receive about 10 - 16 bags of donated rice a month, as well as cans of oil, bags of yellow beans, parcels of salt, and bags of vitamin-enriched flour. Now that those supplies are cut off they are paying for them on their own - with the higher prices. Apparently someone donated 1000 baht to the shelter recently (roughly $25 US, give or take the weak dollar) and that was enough to buy one sack of rice and some dried fish.

I am formulating plans for a fundraiser later this spring, and all of the proceeds from my Etsy site will go to help feed the kids. Kham Chuen reports that they are in good health.

I miss them...

No comments: